|Posted on September 18, 2013 at 3:50 PM|
Recipe slightly adapted from Taste of Home
• ½ pound zucchini, thinly sliced (recommend using a mandolin slicer for even cooking)
• 2 tablespoons butter (for sautéing)
• 1 ready-made pie shell (9 inches)
• 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese (or Italian cheese blend)
• ¼ cup ricotta cheese (I use skim/ part skim)
• ½ cup half-and-half cream (can use milk, but eyeball it, because it can make this too wet)
• 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
• ¾ teaspoon salt
• ½ teaspoon dried oregano (or 1 teaspoon fresh, minced
• ½ teaspoon dried basil (or 1 teaspoon fresh, minced)
• ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
• ¼ teaspoon onion powder
• Dash of pepper
• Paprika for finishing
**Place pie crust on a baking sheet to protect from any boil overs that may happen in the oven
1. In a small skillet, sauté zucchini in butter until Al dente.
2. In a large bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, shredded cheese, cream, eggs, salt, oregano, basil, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper. Pour into crust. Arrange zucchini slices over top. Sprinkle with paprika.
3. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cover LIGHTLY with foil if crust is becoming too dark.