|Posted on May 29, 2013 at 6:50 PM|
(makes 1- 9x13 deep baking dish)
*please note that the above picture is not mine. I am not claiming it. I will post my pictures once I make my recipe!
· 2 boxes Lasagna noodles (Barilla™- Oven Ready/ lay flat**)
· 2 jars good Marinara sauce (I prefer Newman’s Own™**) Reserve some for bottom of pan –tip- after pouring sauce into meat, recover and tip upside down. Use what’s left for reserve.
· 1 ½ pounds ground pork
· 1 ½ pounds lean ground beef
· 1 small yellow onion- chopped or minced (your preference)
· Sliced portabella mushrooms- cleaned (optional)
· 1-2 fine sliced zucchini (mandolin slicer is best to use)(optional if in season)
· Large container of fat free cottage cheese
· Medium container low fat ricotta cheese
· approx 2 bags Italian blend cheese (do not use low fat or fat free for topping, as it does not melt as well)
· FRESH garlic- to taste (you can use Gourmet Garden™ squeeze tube garlic as well**)
· Italian herbs- to taste (I use Gourmet Garden™ squeeze tube Italian Herbs**)
· 2 large or x-large Eggs
1. Preheat oven to 400⁰ F.
2. Meanwhile, brown both beef and pork with about 1TBS garlic and about 1TBS Italian seasonings, until fully cooked in large skillet. Drain any excess fat drippings. Return to skillet.
3. In same skillet, add minced onions, mushrooms (optional) and marinara sauce(less reserved). Cook until onions and mushrooms have become soft, stirring occasionally. (approx. 10 mins-)
4. While sauce is cooking, in a large bowl, combine large container cottage cheese, medium container ricotta cheese, 1 bag of Italian blend cheese, garlic to taste and Italian seasoning to taste (start off small, you can always add more after. Mix well. Before adding the egg, taste your mixture and adjust accordingly to your liking. When proper flavor is achieved, mix in eggs until well blended.
5. In 9x13 deep glass baking dish- spread reserved Marinara sauce evenly onto bottom of baking dish.
6. Add a single layer of uncooked lasagna noodles, pour 1/3 meat sauce over noodles; add another single layer of uncooked noodles on top of meat mixture. Now add a generous layer of cheese mixture on top of uncooked pasta. Lay out thin cut zucchini on top of this, if using. Pour 1/3 of meat sauce over the cheese mixture/ zucchini. Repeat, making sure final layer of uncooked pasta is on top and topped with remaining meat sauce.
7. Cover tightly with foil and place on a cookie sheet to catch any overflow; bake for approx. 1 hour on middle rack (must be bubbling when removed)
8. Uncover and sprinkle with Italian blend cheese (about ½ bag), place back into oven until cheese is fully melted and slightly browned. DO NOT COVER when melting the cheese.
**Please note that I am only suggesting these products due to my own personal preference. I am in no way affiliated or trying to advertise for the above said products.